Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Micro Manager

Editors note: A memo regarding toilet paper flakes?? Truly a micro manager!
Oh my gosh! Now, I love my job and there is noting else I would rather do but...my boss is a micromanager to the nth degree. She is prolific with the e-mails and has no problem storming into employees' offices to harangue them about the smallest thing. She is always right and will claim she never said "...xyz..." to you if it comes back that it truly was a mistake. When I came to her and told her I was pregnant and wanted to set aside some time to talk about maternity leave she said: "You know. You don't have to keep it." Yep. That's right. Upon returning from vacation, from where she calls multiple times a day, she will inspect the entire building and then send an email outlining the most innane things. For example: "Folks. Upon my return I noticed the mat outside the side entrance was askew. It should be flush with the door. Also, it seems that someone cannot flush the toilet properly. There were toilet tissue flakes floating in the bowl. Please flush twice to make sure all tissue is disposed of. For whoever used the stapler last. Please replace the staples. The refrigerator in the staff area has a cherry yogurt on the top shelf. I am not sure if everyone is aware that the top shelf is for my salads. Please keep all yougurt on the middle shelf." No lie. This is almost verbatim. At one point I had to tell her that a practice that she wanted me to employ was frowned upon by funders. She told me: "Do it until someone questions you about it." Against my better judgement, I did. It was the board who questioned me about it. I said "I have discussed this matter with my superior and was told to continue it." When she was questioned she claimed to have never had the conversation. Oh this happens all the time....and not just to me. Oh I've got enough stories to fill a book.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?